
So I have been in Afghanistan for about three days now. We did it in two days using a
flux capacitor so the jet lag was pretty bad at first. It took me a while to sell out and buy the wireless here which is 10 hrs for $10. I will get back to that, but let me talk about Manas Air Base first. Its in
Kyrgyzstan in Central Asia. This was a surreal experience at first because we were in the loving hands of the United States Air Force. I forgot how blessed I was to be in a service where the People are first and everything is geared for your happiness. My four months of Hell at Camp Atterbury made me forget what it was like to be appreciated as a service member by my particular service. (if that makes sense) Anyways, there were fun activities like Karaoke, Internet Cafes, and game rooms. (Go Air Force!!!) Despite the fun things (and great spaghetti) we still had the toolish rules, like wearing reflective belts at night and stuff like that. It also rained a lot at Manas. Like
Jurassic Park level 5 bad.

It rained on all of our bags for about eight hours straight and never stopped. Luckily I lined everything with trash bags, so my stuff did not get wet. Other than Manas being wet, I still loved it there. I even got a little ethnic hat. A Kyrgyz actually looks like an Asian except that they speak Russian. It is kinda sad that we had to leave Manas so early, I would have like to explore the Kyrgyz culture a little more. I slept through Karaoke, and the amenities were actually kinda sweet. After that we loaded a plane and flew to Bagram Air Base. I was finally in Afghanistan!


The first thing I noticed about Afghanistan is that is looked exactly like El Paso, TX. I mean eerily so... The mountains almost looked the same and there is sand and desert everywhere. The sand created a lot of dust. Funny thing was that we arrived right before a sand storm. Everything I have including myself is covered in sand. The wind never really stopped, but being from the desert the dust didn't really affect my breathing like most members of the team. (My eyes are a little itchy though) It is also very cold at night. I have never appreciated cold weather gear sooooo much. The worst thing about Bagram is that it is commercialized in the wrong ways. It is hard to believe that we have been here for nine years. This base is really in the stone age compared to Manas. The Internet that I am using is pretty cheap, but they install some software on your computer so that you can access it. You
true believers must know that I had to be really desperate for the Interwebs to risk my own Network Security. Thats bad juju number one of many. Another thing is that the BX can only be reached via shuttle which takes forever and is usually croweded (like El Paso ;-) ) So for the first couple of days I was shut off from the world (dramatic music) I tried the calling center, but it only allows AT&T calling cards. (I am not sure how the phones will be at my Forward Operating Base so stand by) At least at Manas any calling cards could be used. Skype works the best according to Mom and Dad. (username SlimShamy85). I know that I have been complaining a lot, but despite that I am really happy to be here and serving my country. This is a once in a lifetime deployment and I am very excited to start doing my job. I with a good team and we all take care of each other. Next stop Kapisa!
Stay Frosty,
JoJo
I actually remembered another good thing about Bagram to offset all of the bad things. They serve RICE all the time!!! So yes, I could eat Rice and Bacon, and Rice and Hotdogs every meal!
ReplyDelete-JoJo