Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Turkey Day!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

I hope that everyone is having a great Thanksgiving back home.  I am thankful that I get to serve my country and help the people of Afghanistan.  I hope the Dallas Cowboys and Red Raiders win.  If the Cowboys don't win the rest of the season, then that means that they get better draft picks....Maybe they can get a better QB.  We had a real turkey for Thanksgiving at the FOB so that we nice.

So my Shamalis asked about why us Americans celebrate Thanksgiving.  You never really know how much you forget from grade school btw.....here is what I said.  When the Pilgrims first landed on America, it was very cold and scary.   When the Native Americans came to meet the settlers, the settlers expected a fight.  Native American is hard to explain to Afghans because the other reference is Indians, and that means something else to them since India is like their Canada so to speak...and note that I say settlers instead of pilgrims because what really were they pilgrimaging (if thats a word) to?  Muslims have a pilgrimage to Mecca (see PRT Kapisa Facebook for info on last weeks Muslim holiday ;-P)....back to subject...The settlers were expecting a fight, and instead the Native Americans brought food.  Thus the tradition of a Thanksgiving feast was born.  I hope that I explained the story correctly.  Maybe I need to go back to kindergarten.  I wonder if they understood?

Stay Frosty,

JoJo


I have a better address here to give out:

Joseph Shamy (No Rank)
FOB Morales-Frazier
APO AE 09354

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joe!

    They were pilgrimaging to religious freedom, escaping the persecution by Catholics in England.

    I am gonna enjoy your blog. Glad you're writing it, and glad you're serving.

    Take care, my friend.

    Pat, your old red-headed buddy from EP

    ReplyDelete