The reason I am so jovial is because the peace and quiet has left me to my memories. My favorite part of Christmas is hanging and viewing Christmas lights. I have spent the holidays in many different places (mostly in Texas) but what I miss most about the majority of my old homes is the different ways each city celebrated the most wonderful time of the year. (Are you sick of my Christmas song references yet?)div>
I will begin the Christmas Light Walk Through Winter Wonderland with my hometown of El Paso, Texas. I don’t know the name of the street, but we would always caravan out to Eastside El Paso and marvel at the lights inspired by friendly neighborhood competition. My favorite house was the all-blue Dallas Cowboys house. I also remember going to Downtown EP with my Grandma and waiting for the giant Christmas Tree to be lit up. The lights in downtown have definitely been expanded to the rest of the park. One other unique thing about the Sun City (because I haven’t seen it anywhere else yet) is the Wells Fargo (a.k.a. State National or Norwest depending on how long you have lived in EP) building having its windows colored to make the shape of a Christmas Tree for all driver’s viewing pleasure no matter what state or country you come from.
My first holiday season spent away from home was in lovely Lubbock Texas as a student at Texas Tech University (WRECK ‘EM) I know I skipped Los Alamos, New Mexico, but I don’t remember much about it except being poor and cutting down our own tree in the woods….actually I remember going back to El Paso for both Christmas and New Years. Stream of consciousness tangent over and back to Lubbock. My living experience at various locales in the US of A leads me to the conclusion that the smaller the town, the bigger the emphasis on Christmas Spirit. Every Techsan and Lubbockian (I am a wordsmith) looks forward to the Carol of Lights Ceremony. This is an annual event where the whole town of Lubbock flocks to Texas Tech’s Campus for a Holiday light extravaganza! Every building is wrapped with lights from the Science Quad to the Engineering Key to the Admin Buildings. The paths in Memorial Circle are lined with Luminarias and the ceremony is topped off with Carols from the Texas Tech Music Department. The Dean of Music sounds like old man winter when he sings his frightening (as least to me) rendition of “Oh Holy Night”. Another guilty pleasure for Christmas Light Lovers is the breath-taking visage of a small town just outside of Lubbock known as Ransom Canyon during the holidays. I swear that when I first saw this visual feast it was like hearing “Journey” for the first time. Never have you felt more pimp then when you took a girl out there blindfolded as a holiday surprise and sipped hot cocoa. ;-)The next stop in my memory banks is San Angelo, Texas. Do you remember what I said about small towns? Well, San Angelo does not hold any punches in this occasion. There is a house on “N Street” that was uprooted from the North Pole and planted in this small Texas Town. The Griswold house is not in the same league of holiday lighting expertise. You can even venture through the inside of the house and see generations of Christmas Spirit through hundreds of stockings and snow globes. The real magic from San Angelo comes from a drive-thru light parade that hugs the Concho River. Before entering you are given hot cocoa and tune your radio to a special commercial-free radio station and experience the things Christmas dreams are made of in the heart of Texas.
Finally we end our journey in San Antonio, Texas. I know that I am only describing Texas sites and sounds, but this is where the Air Force has taken me so far….did I join the Texas Air National Guard? Back to San Antonio…this is a metropolitan area, so the inherent Christmas spirit giving birth to light competitions is few and far between. However, I happened to live less than 2 miles (lucky me, it is like destiny) from the feature micro city of Windcrest. You are probably wondering how I can talk about San Antonio and not mention the biggest attraction of the city, the Riverwalk. The fact is, is that I rarely go to the Riverwalk…but here is a picture anyway.
The magic in San Antonio isn’t represented in lights, but it is more experienced through the camaraderie that my squadron has during the holidays. We have constant Christmas parties and events. I was even the “Most Untalented” winner in 2009 because I practiced. (Who practices to be untalented? Only yours truly who is by nature spectacular)
I hope that ya’ll (family and friends) enjoyed sharing a couple of merry memories with me. I am sure to have made some of you feel nostalgic and mushy. Since I am on General Order 1 out here in Afghanistan have an Egg Nog (with a shot of Jeremiah Weed) for me.
Joyeaux Noel!
JoJo


No comments:
Post a Comment