Happy New Year!
Welcome to 2011. Even though I am posting at 1:49am I am still the first to wish everyone a Happy New Year! ("Bonne Annee!" in French). It is pretty cold here...no snow like in El Paso....but very cold. So I guess you are wondering what I did for New Years.
I started off New Year's Eve at work...and I will be back there in about five hours or less....but I did have some fun. At work we had a James Bond marathon in the background (if you need a wikipedia link about James Bond...then WOW) I left around five and went to a BBQ with the AF Communications guys....CommBots. We ate T-Bone Steak and I had a slice of a rib. I am glad that we decided to BBQ because the generator to the Dining Facility for the Americans went out so dinner chow was delayed and I don't they really couldn't make a main course only sides. But the BBQ was good. After that I went with the Engineers and watched some more James Bond and then played Taboo (I will link that one since some of you True Believers might not know what that is) It was actually the first time I played it. My team won both times even after we switched...I am not saying anything...but I happen to be extraordinary at every board game I play. Fact. After playing Taboo, I went to hang out and smoke cigars with the Army Comms guys and rang in the New Year. I had an Alec Bradley Tempus. It was pretty smooth. Yup smoking cigars and drinking du l'eau. (that's water...at least its named Kristal) (I also yelled "Happy New Year Kapisa!!!!" over the walkie talkies and then promptly turned mine off....hahaha....hahah....snort.....haha) What is really cool about being up in Afghanistan at this hour of the night (because it is the darkest country in the world) is that the choppers that were flying over let loose their flares! It was definitely a site. Kinda like fireworks.
There are somethings that I miss in America during New Years. Last year I was in Las Vegas at Carmen Electra's New Years Bash. I do miss hanging out with the family...whether it be at Ate Nanette's house or Tita Letty's house. I miss playing guitar for everybody.... I didn't do that here because its awkward playing guitar for a bunch of dudes. I especially miss the food. (shout out to that soup that Tita Letty makes that I really don't know the name of it, but its good anyways) I also miss Mommy Minda's adobo and flan (oh how I miss Flan) What about the all night Mahjong tournaments (Jai alai!) I can't wait to get back. I hope that everyone back home has a Blessed Year with much hope and cheer.
So I really don't know what to have for my New Year's resolution. I am going to be in Afghanistan for more than half the year....I mean I am here serving my country helping rebuild a country thats seen war since 1979. Oh, well I will think of something.
Bonne Annee!
JoJo
No comments:
Post a Comment